Friday, January 30, 2009

Defoe Injured

Well of course as things begin to look up for us here at Spurs, some new crisis comes along. News out of training today comes that Defoe has injured his foot, with rumors being that he had broken it at first. Some rumors even said that he would be out for the rest of the season, which made me break out into a cold sweat.

So, the news is not great, but not as bad as I thought it was at first. Defoe is injured, and will not play at Bolton tomorrow, or against ARSEnal next Sunday, and for up to three weeks. Just as things were starting to come together with Defoe and Pavy, there's an injury that will disrupt our timing. At least Jermain is not out for the rest of the year, so I doubt we'll have a panic buy like I first thought.

My first thought on hearing that Defoe could be out for the rest of the year was that Harry would panic and offer some absurd number, like 25 million for Santa Cruz, or Lennon and cash for Keane again. But now that he's out for a couple of weeks, I doubt we'll splash a large amount of cash on another striker, but at least another striker will making his way to the Lane I believe.

A player like Fred would make sense, especially for around 4 million like I've discussed in the past. A player I would have liked to have seen come into the club would have been Kevin Doyle from Reading. A good striker, he'd be great cover, especially at around 4-5 million pounds.

I tend to think that in the last days of the transfer window we'll be seeing another striker come into the fold, and players like the winger Hunt, or the left backs that have been discussed will not be purchased. I would have liked Hunt, or Nicky Shorey, but I doubt we'll see that and cash for a striker splashed in 2 days.

The team tomorrow will certainly look different with Defoe out, I suspect Harry will deploy a 4-4-1-1 like he has in the past, with Modric playing in the hole behind Pavlyuchenko. I don't think this is the best way to deploy the team, but they're not paying me to manage, though that would be great.

Gomes

Corluka, Dawson, Woodgate, Chimbonda

Lennon, Zokora, Palacios, Bentley (not sure if he's suspended or not, I know he's out against Arsenal) Jenas

Modric

Pavlyuchenko

No comments:

Post a Comment