Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Disaster

Well, that was not pretty to watch. What words could describe that outing? Atrocious, abysmal, horrible all come to mind. I think that it is pretty clear that Alnwick will not be serving as our backup for anytime soon, and the signing of Cudicini could not come fast enough. If Harry prefers Alnwick to Sanchez, I understand why he didn't relieve Gomes with his injury last weekend. I don't believe that many of the squad did themselves any favors. I had hoped to avoid injury, but Woodgate, Dawson, and O'Hara all picked up injuries last night, which makes the starting line-up at Old Trafford on Saturday look scary. Assuming Corluka is fit, which is a doubt, it could be Corluka and Zokora as our center backs, or Rocha could see his first action of the season.

I think one of the few who showed some fight and came out of this match with a good performance was Adel Taarabt. We haven't seen the youngster much, and I expected him to be sold when Ramos was still in charge, but he showed some fight, and while not quite ready for prime time, could definitely serve us well off the bench. Defoe and Pavlyunchenko saved us late on, which would have been humiliating if we would have gone out of the competition.

I think the less said about this match the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment