Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gomes a Keeper?

With the reemergence of Gomes for the side many will believe that the club's name won't be linked with big-name summer goalkeeper signings. Gomes has looked like the keeper I saw at PSV in the last few weeks, and was outstanding against Chelsea Saturday, but I still feel that another keeper may come into the mix this summer.

Based on the past couple of months I would be happy sticking with Gomes and Carlo Cudicini for next season. If you would have asked me about this two months ago, I would have railed against keeping Gomes. I don't think he's the next Schmeichel, but how many are? He's looked like he has started to adjust to the physical nature of the English game and has earned the trust of his teammates finally.

Having Cudicini and Gomes at the club will allow us to spend our cash on other purchases this summer, but I am sure we will be linked with all manner of keepers, including Joe Hart of Manchester City, Scott Carson of West Brom, and possibly Sebastian Frei as well.

It is something as fans we will have to tolerate all summer, gossip about who's coming, but that's part of the fun of the close season isn't it? Given another two months to prove his quality, Gomes can either cement his place or convince Harry to go shopping. I'm starting to believe that the former is going to be the case, which is good for both him and the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment