Monday, March 23, 2009

Where Has This Spurs Side Been All Season?

I am just now getting my chance to put in my two cents about the great Spurs victory this weekend because my Internet connection died on me over the weekend and the technician cannot come until this week to fix it. But enough about me, what a game by the boys this weekend.

This was a deserved win against a Chelsea side that should have been flying, but stuttered for the first time under Gus Hiddink. I was nervous heading into the game, but my fears were allayed early in the first half when I saw the composure the side was showing. Like I've heard several times over the past couple of days, Tottenham looked like the team that was challenging for the League title, and not Chelsea.

It looks like Harry has finally decided on a group of players that can do the job for him. The only change that was made was Corluka in at right-back, where he should have been from the start against Villa as well. The midfield contingent is working well, Lennon and Modric have been terrifying defenses over the past month and I don't see that changing. By allowing Modric to come infield as he wishes we are getting 3 central midfielders and Modric is even doing well keeping the width of the team at times, when he stays out wide.

I just have to wonder where this team was the whole season. I have a theory about our current run of form, and it includes our new team captain. Since Robbie Keane has come back into the side, we haven't lost a Premier League match, and have tied only two of those matches. The matches we've lost in that time, away to Shakhtar and the Carling Cup Final were games that he couldn't take part in. Could our returning Irishman be our good luck charm after all? Let's see how that progresses throughout the rest of the season.

Just last week I had written a post about not wanting to raise our expectations too much about qualifying for Europe, and I'm not ready to totally retract that article, but I am willing to say that it wouldn't hurt for the lads to try for that position. If we could finish in 7th place it would be an incredible way to end a roller-coaster season, but even if we just finish in the top half of the table I will be happy, and the club should be as well.

1 comment:

  1. "Since Robbie Keane has come back into the side, we haven't lost a Premier League match, and have tied only two of those matches. The matches we've lost in that time, away to Shakhtar and the Carling Cup Final were games that he couldn't take part in. Could our returning Irishman be our good luck charm after all?"

    YES! No exaggeration, the day he left was my worst day as a Spurs supporter of 25 years. The day he came back?...seriously...the best.

    ReplyDelete