Monday, March 23, 2009

Hutton Close to Return? And Other Random Tidbits

Alan Hutton returned to action for Spurs on Monday night, and by all reports looked fit before being substituted in the seventy-first minute. This is good news for the club, he didn't seem to show any ill effects from the long injury layoff, and while he didn't light up the field, (in fact very few full-backs short of Roberto Carlos do) he did what he needed to, got some match experience to get his legs back.

Now he will head off to the Scotland camp, and I don't expect him to play during the qualifiers, though that could be a possibility. A week from Saturday Tottenham travels to Blackburn to take on Rovers, and I would fully expect him to be in the side, though on the bench more than likely.

I have read that the person most likely to come under threat with Hutton back in the side would be BAE. As the people who have read this blog from the beginning know, BAE has been my own personal pinata at times, but I think in the last month he's turned into a decent footballer. I've never seen Hutton play on the left-side and at the moment, BAE and Modric have a good connection and with the form that the club has shown lately, I would not expect Harry to do much tinkering at all with the side.

So Harry was off in Italy watching Diego Milito this weekend? Can't say that I'm surprised, but not really sold on the Argentine. He's a good player, but how will he fit into the side. I still believe that Darren Bent already has movers on retainer for his imminent move away from the Lane, so we need one more good striker, but I don't think Milito would be that answer.

I also don't think that Kenwye Jones is the answer either, the form that he has shown for Sunderland as of late makes me wonder what Harry sees in him. I have also watched him on international duty with Trinidad and Tobago, he doesn't exactly ring my bell there either. But we'll no doubt be linked with just about every striker who could be for sale from now until September, so it's something I'll get used to.

Not too much else from the papers other than the usual transfer gossip, which I think will take up a large portion of this blog while the team is off on international duty, but I will keep an eye on our boys who are representing their countries, especially Aaron Lennon and Ledley King. And Ledley deserved this call-up, but I also think that Woodgate deserved one as well, he has been outstanding for us all season, and for selfish reasons I don't really want to see Ledley on the field for England, because that would almost certainly rule him out for the Blackburn game for us.

1 comment:

  1. Harry has said publicly that if he'd known Keane wasn't off limits, he wouldn't have bothered bidding for Jones.

    So with Robbie back home, hopefully that's the last we'll hear of him. He's just not a Spurs player, is he?

    ReplyDelete